Two-Story Homes for Sale in Northwest Indiana
By Sq Ft
Steiner Homes provides custom built homes and luxury home builds for residents throughout the Northwest Indiana community, including Crown Point, Cedar Lake, Chesterton, Dyer, Lowell and more. We offer a wide range of floor plans to cater to any type of family. With versatile features like home offices, loft spaces, spacious dining nooks, and walk-in pantries, we make sure that you have dedicated spaces for all your regular activities. Out of all our floor plans, our two-story home plans are especially popular due to their spacious and comfortable layouts.
A two-story house is a single-family house plan featuring two levels of living space, connected by an interior staircase. Two-story house plans are arguably the most popular floor plan style for a primary residence.
In a traditional two-story home, you will typically find the main living spaces – such as the kitchen, living room, dining room, etc. – on the main floor, while all the bedrooms reside on the upper floor. In more modern two-story house plans, you may come across a master on main style layout, where the master bedroom suite is located on the first floor along with the main living spaces, and the additional bedrooms are located upstairs.
The Benefits of Two-Story Homes
There’s a lot to think about when you’re deciding between a single-story and two-story house plan. Steiner Homes’ expansive two-story floor plans offer a wealth of benefits. When you choose a custom two-story home from Steiner Homes, you’ll enjoy:
- More Efficient Use of Space: Building up rather than out lets you fit more square footage on the same size lot.
- Enhanced Privacy: Rooms on the second floor of your home enjoy added privacy and separation from the rest of the home. This is ideal for guest rooms, teenagers’ bedrooms, and your master suite.
- Beautiful Views: The views from second-story windows are nearly always superior to what you’ll have at the ground level. This is the perfect way to gaze out at your new neighborhood.
- Greater Affordability: Building upwards into a two-story home is more cost-effective than expanding a one-level floor plan, as the most expensive elements of home-building — excavating, laying foundation, and rafter & roof installation — are being done on a smaller footprint. Additionally, with a two-story home, you’ll have less roof area to maintain.
- Decreased Maintenance & Utility Costs: With a two-story home, there are less exterior walls and roof area to be exposed to the elements. Additionally, plumbing and electric will have less distance to travel, meaning cheaper installation and maintenance prices.
- More Versatile Design for Future Growth: Two-story homes have more attachment points for porches, connectors, and bump outs, allowing for ease of growth should you want to expand the house down the line.
Important Considerations in a Two-Story Home
When you’re working with a two-story floor plan, you will have added considerations that you won’t encounter with single-story options. These include:
- The Stairway Footprint: A stairway takes up around 100 square feet in your home, so you need to consider placement and design carefully.
- Construction Time: You may need to plan a little more time for a two-story construction. Because of the second (and sometimes third attic) floor, the added staircase and sometimes a deeper foundation, construction times are often extended for two-story homes.
- Ceiling Heights: Two-story homes can often present challenges when vaulted or high ceilings are desired, as two-story floor plans typically cater to standard 9-foot ceilings. While vaulted or high ceilings are not impossible in two-story homes, they will add more to the final cost and present numerous floor-plan challenges.
We can help you navigate these considerations thoughtfully to ensure you get a home that perfectly suits your needs.
Two-Story Floor Plans From Steiner Homes
Steiner Homes offers dozens of sleek two-story floor plans for you to choose from. Many of these include convenient features like two-story foyers or great rooms with soaring ceilings that provide an airy and expansive welcome to the home. You can situate all your bedrooms upstairs to neatly divide the home by purpose, or place some of your bedrooms downstairs to give guests, in-laws, or other family members more privacy and separation.
Many of our spacious two-story floor plans include amenities like his and hers closets, spacious master sitting areas upstairs, and versatile loft areas that can serve as playrooms, home offices, and more. Second-story laundry rooms are standard in most layouts so you don’t have to haul your laundry up and down the stairs.
The Henry house plan boasts 2,064 square-feet of living space, including four bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, and a two-car garage. The Henry also includes a mudroom, a pantry, and a powder bath for optimal storage and space utilization.
The Gretchen 2200
Offering 2,200 square-feet of living space, the Gretchen has four bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, and a two-car garage. This house plan also offers a den/office, a walk-in pantry, a powder bath, a mudroom, and more!
The Bradley 2400
The Bradley 2400 offers 2,405 square-feet of living space including four bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, a two car garage and a variety of luxuries such as a den, a powder bath, first-floor laundry, a mudroom and more!
The Eleanor is a spacious 2,405 square-foot retreat, offering four bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, and a two-car garage. This house plan also offer an optional playroom which can be converted into a fifth bedroom, a powder bath, a den/office, a dining room, a mudroom, and a walk-in pantry!
The Evelyn is another great two-story house plan offering 2,405 square-feet including four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a two-car garage. The Evelyn offers a treated deck, a mud room with first-floor laundry, and more!
This 2,473 square-foot two-story house plan offers three bedrooms, two baths, and a three-car garage. The Amanda also features a variety of amenities such as a spacious walk-in pantry, a den/office, a covered front porch, and more!
The Bradley 2500
This floor plan offers 2,513 spacious square-feet, including four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a two-car garage. The Bradley 2500 is a traditional two-story house plan layout offering a kitchen nook, a dining room/den, a walk-in laundry room, a mudroom, and more.
The Eleanor 2500
This floor plan is similar to the Eleanor 2400; however, the Eleanor 2500 offers 2,530 square-feet of living space including four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a two car garage.
The Walter 2500
One of our larger two-story floor plans, the Walter features 2,532 square-feet including four bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a two-car garage.
Boasting 2,552 square-feet, the Vesper offers an open concept layout with view from the kitchen through to the dining room and great room. With four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and the option for a three-car garage, you can’t go wrong with the spacious layout of the Vesper.
With 2,550 square-feet, the Charlie offers four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and standard two-car garage with an optional three-car garage upgrade.
The Gretchen 2500
This unique two story house plan offers a spacious 2,548 square-feet of living space including four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a three-car garage. With a flex dining/living space, an open concept kitchen & great room, and plenty of bedroom space, the Gretchen 2500 is perfect for the growing family!
The Alexandria offers a spacious 3,023 square-feet, including four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a three-car garage. The Alexandria comes standard with a cathedral-ceiling style living room, a walk-in pantry, a powder bath, and more!
The Eleanor 3300
One of our largest house plans, the Eleanor 3300 boasts an extensive 3,302 square-feet of living space, including five bedrooms, 3.5 baths, and a three-car garage.
The Bradley 3300
The Bradley 3300 offers a slight upgrade to the Bradley 2500, boasting 3,319 square-feet, including four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a three-car garage. This two-story house plan is perfect for the growing family in need of plenty of space!
This floor plan offers a stunning open concept, 3,316 square-foot layout – including four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a three-car garage. With a spacious laundry room, his and hers closets in the master suite, and a master suite sitting room, the Nicholas was made for luxury.
The Walter 3400
The Walter 3400 is a spacious, open concept 3,407 square-foot house plan offering five bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a three-car garage. The Nicholas also boasts a dining/den space, a loft area, spacious secondary bedrooms with walk-in closets, and his-and-hers closets in the master suite.
The Eleanor 3500
Sitting at 3,534 square-feet, the Eleanor 3500 is our largest two-story house plan, offering five bedrooms, 3.5 baths, and a three-car garage. This house plan also comes standard with a den/office, a downstairs guest suite, an open concept living area, a spacious mud room and laundry room, a generous sized master closet, an upstairs entertaining space, and more!
Learn More About Steiner Homes’ Two Story House Plans
If you’re ready to start exploring your options for a gorgeous two-story home from Steiner Homes, contact us today or schedule a home tour. Our dedicated team members walk you through every step of the home building process so you’ll get exactly what you need.