About Steiner Homes, LTD., Serving Northwest Indiana
our team, here for you
our team, here for you
The construction of a home consists of many parts that equal the whole. An unorganized and careless approach can lead to nightmarish experience ending in a house with much to be desired. From the initial phases of your custom designs, through each unique selection, from day one of breaking ground to the final days of receiving the keys to your dream, Steiner Homes is here to serve as your chauffeur through the difficult course of the home-building process.
- Meet with one of our Housing Specialists who will enjoy meeting with you to qualify your needs. This is the beginning of the sales process, and we want to clearly understand what is important to our customers in the selection of their home and lot.
- Review Steiner Homes floor plans, we have many unique floor plans of our own, offering ranch, master-on-the-main, and 2-story designs. We will also build a custom floor plan that our customers bring to us.
- Tour some of our homes, one of the favorite parts of our sales process! Visit our model and spec homes and enjoy the terrific standards and features that we offer in our homes.
- Visit subdivisions and review potential lots, we have excellent relationships with developers all over Lake and Porter County in Northwest Indiana, and we can assist you in evaluating potential home sites or the one that you bring to us.
- Meet with one of our partner banks, there are a number of banking institutions and mortgage brokers which we partner with that offer terrific service and professionalism.
- Explore our website, you will be amazed at the amount of information offered on our website! You can down-load floor plans, get pricing, view pictures through a slide show, contact us, and much more.
- Select a home that matches your lifestyle, whether it is one of our floor plans or your custom plan, we will focus on your lifestyle and the way that you live.
- Choose a home site, select the home site, in the subdivision and city that you will call home.
- Personalize your Steiner Homes floor plan, you can make some room size adjustments to our standard plans, add a third-car garage bay, or modify the front elevation. We do all of our design and CAD work in-house, so we can efficiently fine-tune your home to your needs.
- Review additional options, we are proud of the standard features that we offer, but if you want to add more hardwood flooring, finished basement space, or special features to your new home, we will provide you with the options and pricing necessary.
- Meet to review our contract in detail, our Director of Sales, David Gring, will review your contract, answering any questions, and outlining the building process to follow.
- Obtain pre-approval letter from your bank, we require a pre-approval bank letter, outlining the specifics of your loan and the date.
- Approve your contract, submit copy of pre-approval letter, and provide 10% down-payment – these three items are necessary to commence the building process.
- Take copy of contract to your bank to obtain commitment letter, the commitment letter confirms the final amount of the loan, terms, and dates. Your financial institution can efficiently produce the commitment letter after approving the contract.
- Getting to Know You
- Exterior Finishes and Mechanical Rough-ins
- Insulation, Drywall and Flooring
- Final Construction
- Your Dream... Delivered
During this phase, many things are happening behind the scenes in order for day one of construction to begin. Steiner Homes begins work your revised designs, land survey and home placement, subdivision developer and town approval of your home design, and working with you on initial home selections that will be needed earliest in construction, such as your tubs and showers and exterior colors for roofing, siding, brick and stone. The planning phase with initial selection process usually takes one month and overlaps with Step 3, Excavation.
When you decide to build your own home, you want to work with a builder that cares as much as you do about making it the perfect fit for you family.
Steiner Homes is a family business bringing decades of experience, a wealth of knowledge of the industry and a mass of creativity to help design the perfect home for each customer. Owner and President Dan Steiner got into home building 43 years ago. He worked with his Swedish father-in-law, who learned the business from his father. Now Steiner, his wife, four of his children and son-in-law are part of the business, carrying on a work ethic and high standards that have brought high quality homes to subdivisions throughout Northwest Indiana.
“People know our product and identify it and know we put extra thought and time into it,” said Steiner. “We’ve got a distinct look that people have come to know.” Though the style is recognizable, Steiner said that when he and his wife went into business on their own, they decided they didn’t want to build “cookie cutter” houses. Steiner and his family team work with buyers to make sure that the details are to their taste and the designs meet their needs. “We sit down with them and design the house in front of them instead of telling them they have to do this or that,” said Steiner. “We focus on making it affordable, but a really cool house.”
Two of Steiner’s sons are proficient in Auto CAD design and can do design remotely on a big screen for clients to view. “There are new things coming on the market, so we try to stay fresh and current, but make it affordable,” said Steiner. “Sitting down and hearing what clients want and putting that into a house really means a lot to people.” Each of the home designs is named for one of the Steiner grandchildren or kids of employees in the company, among them the Benjamin, a 1,700-square-foot ranch; the Emma, a master-on-the-main available in various sizes; and the Charlie, a two-story, four-bedroom, 2,550-square-foot home. You’ll find Steiner homes in several subdivisions in Lake, Porter and LaPorte Counties. Deer Ridge South in Crown Point, the Preserve and Sand Creek in Chesterton, West Lakes in Munster, Hawthorne North in Valparaiso and Marina Shores in Portage are just a few of the subdivisions.
Steiner noted that now is a good time to buy in Northwest Indiana as the housing market is seeing large numbers of transplants from the Chicago area. “We’re getting a flood of people,” he said. “The interest rates are really good. The taxes are lower. The sooner you buy, the better since prices keep going up. There are a lot of good reasons to buy now versus waiting a year.” As with any business in this time, Steiner Homes is taking all necessary health and safety precautions while still providing full custom home-building services. Model homes are open on weekends and available for viewing by appointment during the week. The Eleanor model in Hawthorne North (Valparaiso) and the Gretchen model in The Preserve (Chesterton) are open from 1-4 p.m. on weekends. Social distancing is being practiced at open houses and when meeting with clients, sanitizing procedures are in place and hand sanitizer is available. Steiner Homes is open and operating during the pandemic to make your home-building dreams come true. Contact Steiner Homes today to learn more or to get started in the process of building your dream home!