our team, here for you
our team, here for you
The construction of a home consists of many parts that equal the whole. An unorganized and careless approach can lead to nightmarish experience ending in a house with much to be desired. From the initial phases of your custom designs, through each unique selection, from day one of breaking ground to the final days of receiving the keys to your dream, Steiner Homes is here to serve as your chauffeur through the difficult course of the home-building process.
- Meet with one of our Housing Specialists who will enjoy meeting with you to qualify your needs. This is the beginning of the sales process, and we want to clearly understand what is important to our customers in the selection of their home and lot.
- Review Steiner Homes floor plans, we have many unique floor plans of our own, offering ranch, master-on-the-main, and 2-story designs. We will also build a custom floor plan that our customers bring to us.
- Tour some of our homes, one of the favorite parts of our sales process! Visit our model and spec homes and enjoy the terrific standards and features that we offer in our homes.
- Visit subdivisions and review potential lots, we have excellent relationships with developers all over Lake and Porter County in Northwest Indiana, and we can assist you in evaluating potential home sites or the one that you bring to us.
- Meet with one of our partner banks, there are a number of banking institutions and mortgage brokers which we partner with that offer terrific service and professionalism.
- Explore our website, you will be amazed at the amount of information offered on our website! You can down-load floor plans, get pricing, view pictures through a slide show, contact us, and much more.
- Select a home that matches your lifestyle, whether it is one of our floor plans or your custom plan, we will focus on your lifestyle and the way that you live.
- Choose a home site, select the home site, in the subdivision and city that you will call home.
- Personalize your Steiner Homes floor plan, you can make some room size adjustments to our standard plans, add a third-car garage bay, or modify the front elevation. We do all of our design and CAD work in-house, so we can efficiently fine-tune your home to your needs.
- Review additional options, we are proud of the standard features that we offer, but if you want to add more hardwood flooring, finished basement space, or special features to your new home, we will provide you with the options and pricing necessary.
- Meet to review our contract in detail, our Director of Sales, David Gring, will review your contract, answering any questions, and outlining the building process to follow.
- Obtain pre-approval letter from your bank, we require a pre-approval bank letter, outlining the specifics of your loan and the date.
- Approve your contract, submit copy of pre-approval letter, and provide 10% down-payment – these three items are necessary to commence the building process.
- Take copy of contract to your bank to obtain commitment letter, the commitment letter confirms the final amount of the loan, terms, and dates. Your financial institution can efficiently produce the commitment letter after approving the contract.
- Getting to Know You
- Exterior Finishes and Mechanical Rough-ins
- Insulation, Drywall and Flooring
- Final Construction
- Your Dream... Delivered
This may be the most critical of all steps in the process, but for us, it’s also the most fun! Everyone’s wants and desires differ, and it is absolutely crucial to find out yours in order to arrive at our final destination, the home of your dreams! This is where we decide on a plan and tailor it to fit you. This could mean a room that needs to be a bit bigger or a ceiling that needs to become a trey or cathedral. Would you like a covered deck? How about a open living room turned into a office with beautiful French doors? This is where all of these questions are answered… and the creation of your dream begins.
During this phase, many things are happening behind the scenes in order for day one of construction to begin. Steiner Homes begins work your revised designs, land survey and home placement, subdivision developer and town approval of your home design, and working with you on initial home selections that will be needed earliest in construction, such as your tubs and showers and exterior colors for roofing, siding, brick and stone. The planning phase with initial selection process usually takes one month and overlaps with Step 3, Excavation.
The third phase marks the beginning of actual construction. During excavation, we break ground and dig out the site of your home. The phase includes the foundation, underground plumbing, and interior flooring of your home. While this phase is underway, usually taking three weeks, the initial selections started in step 2 are decided and ordered. Our second selections meeting begins approximately half-way through this timeframe, which consists of electrical and plumbing selections. We will go over each one, deciding items such as telephone and cable placement, exterior hose bib locations, and plumbing fixtures, just to name a few.
The fourth phase of our process turns your plans on paper into the beginnings of reality. Your house will take full shape, as all interior and exterior walls and roof are formed. While this 3-4 week process occurs, we finish the second selection meeting and begin the third and final one. This consists of all interior selections such as flooring, cabinetry and lighting. This final selection process, usually broken into two meetings, take place near the beginning of framing and is decided near the end of this step.
The fifth phase marks the beginning of the exterior finishes and interior mechanical rough-ins. Exterior finishes begin with roofing, and continue with siding, brick, stone and exterior concrete. This entire exterior process takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks, overlapping with the next few steps, and is very weather dependent. The interior mechanical rough-ins, which include HVAC, plumbing and electrical typically take 1-2 weeks and end with an inspection period before the walls are covered.
The sixth phase, lasting approximately 3-4 weeks, begins with the complete insulation and drywall of your home. Once this is complete, the house is cleaned and all walls and ceilings are primed. This phase ends with all hard surface (wood and tile) flooring and wall tile installed and protected.
The seventh phase marks the true beginning of a glimpse into what your future holds. Cabinetry and base is installed, doors and windows are cased, and stairways, columns and lockers are created. The beauty of the woodwork begins to show the gorgeous look your home will soon possess. This process typically takes 2 weeks and marks the beginning of the end of final construction.
The home stretch… excuse the pun! The last phase of construction, usually 3 weeks, sees the final touches, including final coating of paint and stain, installation of all finish hardware including doorknobs, mirrors, and cabinet pulls, and the final installation of all HVAC and electrical trim as well as all plumbing fixtures. Finally, carpet is laid, closet shelving is installed and professional cleaning occurs.
Once construction is complete, we walk your home and develop our final punch list prior to our completion. This is our final quality control inspection and your home checked carefully using a checklist of over 300 items! After this checklist is complete and the final punch list is made, we conduct a tour with our clients and introduce their new home!